By Graham Hill
BOURNEMOUTH boss Eddie Howe has backed Tyrone Mings for an England call-up as he comes face-to-face with his former defender at Villa Park.
Villa signed Mings in a deal worth over £26million last month after a successful loan spell which ended with Dean Smith’s side winning promotion last season in the Championship Play-off Final.
And Howe told reporters on Friday that he sold Mings, 26, because he preferred Dutchman Nathan Are at the heart of his defence.
Sky Sports reported Howe as saying: “Tyrone Mings has got all the attributes to play for England.
”He’s been unfortunate with injuries. He was never able to get that run in the team that he wanted.
“He was fighting with Nathan Ake for the same shirt. It’s no surprise he’s done so well at Aston Villa. He’ll have that in his mind (England) as something he can achieve.”
Howe says Mings will be a difficult opponent for Bournemouth this weekend.
He added: ”My players know how good Tyrone Mings is, having trained with him over a long period of time. We know him well, he knows us well.
“There’s no doubting his qualities as a player. Very good on the ball, very athletic, very strong and very good in the air.
“I think it’ll be a good match-up between our front players and him, it will be interesting to see how those duels come out in the match. But we wish him well for the future and it will be good to catch up with him.”
But Bournemouth make the trip to Villa Park without David Brooks, Lloyd Kelly, Arnaut Danjuma, Dan Gosling, Lewis Cook, Simon Francis and Junior Stanislas who have all been ruled out for the game.